The electricity industry is facing new challenges that haven’t been seen in more than a century. As customers become active power producers who demand clean, dependable, and economical power, the evolving grid necessitates unique technical solutions that can open up new business models and revenue streams. The growth of digital technologies, the entrance of increasingly affordable distributed power technologies, and the decarbonization of the global electricity network through the introduction of more renewable energy sources are driving this transition in energy generation and consumption. A BESS is one that has at least 1 MW of power capacity. Electricity networks benefit from them in a variety of ways. The following are some of the most prevalent applications that they are employed in today.
- Frequency Regulation: BESS can react quickly to changes in power distribution demand, ensuring that power distribution frequencies stay within predetermined limitations.
- Renewable Energy Management: A stable battery power distribution can be given to the utility grid by storing variable renewable energy in batteries, and BESS can provide power to the utility distribution system during peak demand periods.
- Firm capacity: Utility power distribution’s peak demand frequently comes at specific times of the day and/or year. To address these peak demands, high-cost peak-shaving generators that operate for short periods of time are deployed. Energy services provided by BESS are now cost-competitive with peak-shaving generators, providing utilities with another option.
- Capital Investment Deferral: As the need for utility power distribution develops, existing power distribution infrastructure may not be able to meet the whole demand. Installing BESS at key sites that enable peak-shaving power distribution is one way to postpone the capital expenditure of increasing utility power distribution demand capacity.
- Black Start: A BESS can offer start-up restoration power to power-producing units in the event of a power distribution breakdown.
As the percentage of renewable energy sources climbs, energy storage becomes more important. PRISMECS offers BESS that helps you improve the reliability, availability, and efficiency of your power supply. Click on the link to get more details: https://prismecs.com/